So I had to send my ThinkPad T480 off to Lenovo for a repair recently because I dropped it on concrete and they wouldn't let me fix my laptop myself (of course). Well, I needed something to tithe me over for what turned out to be an entire month. Seeing as I had been thinking about getting a cheap, old [OG] ThinkPad at the time, I bought a ThinkPad X230 and refurbished it with a new battery, new thermal paste, and one of my several SSDs lying around. And it was a good thing I did too because I would have been screwed otherwise. Once my T480 came back in, I decided to do some hacking experimentation with the X230. So I used it as a testing bed for exploring Coreboot and IME hacks. Now I have a fully hardware refurbished ThinkPad X230 with coreboot, a disabled IME, Debian (without any binary blobs because the non-free repo is disabled on my system), and even a wifi hardware kill switch (Who needs a Librem?) all for only $200 and a bit of elbow grease. Thus, when I finished that, I went even further and risked my ThinkPad T480. By this point, I had already worked out many of the kinks of going through this process (but not all of them). I ended up bricking the T480 twice, but I had made 3 backups of the original OEM ME so it was no big deal. I am even typing this forum post on said twice-bricked laptop🙂 Finally, when I used the soft disable flag with me_cleaner, I was able to actually get results. Unfortunately, attempting to remove blobs from the ME was what caused the bricks, and the soft disable only actually flips the HAP bit. Still, better than before. What will follow is a series of several forum posts detailing my experience and offering a higher overall level of detail into the process for anyone who is as adventurous as me.
P.S. once I build the backend for my website I will probably post this to there for hopefully better SEO.